We’ve been studying The Highwomen with my 4th graders. “Crowded Table” is a wonderful value-affirming song to start the school year.
The story of The Highwomen, four female artists frustrated with the state of country music coming together to feel less alone, is relatable to children and is a great example of how you can empower others by being your authentic self.
As part of this unit, we are learning about the four artists who make The Highwomen: Amanda Shires, Natalie Hemby, Maren Morris, and Brandi Carlile.
Earlier this week, the lesson was focused on Brandi.
It’s both incredibly easy and challenging to explain what Brandi Carlile and her music mean to me. Her music gave me hope and strength in the darkest moments of my life. Her life story, her resolve, and the way she has used to voice and platform continue to inspire me as a teacher and a person.
I wanted to tell my 4th graders some of this. Hyping up and preparing students for music is important. If I genuinely tell students that something is interesting and why students will be more likely to have a meaningful connection with the music.
So I told my students that Brandi Carlile is one of my heroes. I told them that her music makes me feel less alone. I explained that the song “The Story,” written by Phil Hanseroth, the bass player in her band, is about how the good times are so much more fun with people that you love and the bad times aren’t so bad when you share them with people that you love.
I had more to say, but I stopped myself and let Brandi perform for my students.
As the video played, I didn’t want to look at my students. I wasn't sure how I would handle seeing one of my students being disinterested or bored with this video. However, when I did, I saw every student looking at the screen in awe, and I got emotionally seeing them experience deeply something I loved so much.
When the video was over, the class was quiet. There was a feeling of disbelief in the room at what they saw. I stumbled through some words and said, “isn’t Brandi magical?” And they all nodded their heads.
I'm so glad I got to share "The Story" with my students. I didn't think this song could mean more to me, but after my experience with my 4th graders, it means more than ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment