Monday, October 17, 2022

Parenthood: Week 496 - 10/17/22

Ethan is getting more into soccer. Before his game yesterday, he spent time practicing kicking a ball around. For some reason, he thought he had to throw the ball to get the ball moving, so he proceeded to try to drop-kick the ball over and over. During the soccer practice before the game, he was more successful moving the fall down the field and passing the ball in other drills with his teammates. 

The afternoon was the coldest we’ve had this fall, and I didn’t dress Ethan in as warm clothing as his teammates. Other team members wore hats, gloves, and thick fleece underneath their uniforms. Ethan was just wearing a long t-shirt. I was expecting him to complain that he was cold as I saw him pull his sleeves over his hands to keep them warm, but he didn’t.  

There were times when Ethan got distracted and was less engaged in the game, but he was on par in this regard with most of the players on his team with his attention, so I wasn’t concerned.  

Things with soccer are starting to click for Ethan. 

*****

If you sit on the couch and ask Lucas to bring you a book, he will happily run off and get one for you to read to him. Sometimes these books are small board books, and sometimes they are picture books the size of his torso. Then, he will push the book onto your lap and climb onto the couch. 

Lucas is still at the age where climbing on the couch really is a climb. He drops his head and torso down the couch, throws his leg up, and tries to pull himself up. Sometimes I help him. Other times, he manages himself.  

Once Lucas makes it up to the couch, he will settle down next to me or in my lap. Then, when I’m done with the book, he jumps off my lap and grabs another book. Suppose I let him this go on and on. He will happily keep bringing books for you to read as long as you are willing to read to him. 

***** 

Sometimes I get annoyed when Ollie leads his brothers in playing a game that is too loud and messy. I’ll be in the kitchen and hear joyful laughs and screams, check on my boys, and the living room will be an absolute mess.  

Sometimes, when it’s too late, it’s too messy, or close to a meal, I stop them. I make them top and clean up, and do something different. Then there are others times I just walk away and let it go.  

Ollie loves playing with his brothers. He’s not concerned about playing games that are too kiddie. As they play, I see Ollie teaching his brothers rules and helping them along, even in the silliest games. He wants to involve his brothers and have fun with them. I look at the way Ethan and Lucas are up to him with fascination and wonder, and it makes me so happy that they all have each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment