Monday, January 4, 2010

I'll Stand By You by The Pretenders

It was about 11pm when I got the phone call.

One of my best friends had been dumped by her boyfriend and she needed to talk. When she told me what had happened I ran over to her dorm room and we talked through the night. They had been together for a couple years and he told her that he was interested in someone else.

Now this is the first time I had ever been that "first-call friend." This is the friend that you call when there's a crisis. When you are in such a dire situation you instinctually reach towards someone who is close, someone who you trust, one of your best friends. It's really flattering to be that "first-call friend" but it's also difficult because you deal with the initial reaction, the most emotional response and the difficult task of comforting a friend in need.

Now I didn’t really know what to say my friend. At that point in my life I only had one ex-girlfriend and didn't have much experiences in relationships. All I could do that was be there with her and for her and often that’s all we need to do to stand by our friends.



“I’ll Stand By You” is a song by The Pretenders. Chrissie Hynde, lead singer and the main songwriter of the Pretenders was one of the first blue jeans and leather jacket female rock stars. Combining rock swagger with her own independent female sensibility, Hynde proved to the world that women could rock along with the boys without losing their femininity.

Most of The Pretenders music is like “Brass In Pocket,” upbeat mixtures of Rock and new wave.



Then there’s “I’ll Stand By You” one of the most powerful songs about friendship in rock music. A simple song with straightforward lyrics, this song expresses a profound understand of what it means to truly be there for another.

Think about some of the lines in this song:
“Nothing you confess, could make you less”
“so, if you mad, get mad, don’t hold it all inside”
“what you got to hide, I get angry too, but I’m a lot like you.”

Hynde is not trying to change her friends emotion. Instead she accepts her friend, all of their sins and all of their emotions, not just the ones she feels comfortable with.

“I’ll Stand By You” is about what we wish to hear from our friends when we are in times of need and it’s also about the kind of friend that we hope to be when we get a phone call late at night.

One night, you’re going to be that “first-call friend” and when this happens just remember “I’ll Stand By You” and you’ll know exactly what to do.

“Take me in, into your darkest hour, and I’ll never desert you.”

1 comment:

  1. Great post. It's always moving when a song can capture a particular moment.

    ReplyDelete