Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Party In The U.S.A. by Miley Cyrus

I love “Party In The U.S.A.” and my wife doesn’t.



First off, Diana is not a fan of processed “auto-tuned” vocals and this song features quite a bit of that. I agree that it’s a bit much in this song and we both would much rather hear someone sing straight out, though I’m not sure with Miley Cyrus if it would really sound all that much better.

The main reason why “Party In The U.S.A.” bugs Diana is the chorus. Here's her issue:

“So I put my hands up, they’re playing my song, The butterflies fly away.” Okay, that’s reasonable enough, rejoicing in a favorite tune, it’s all good. Moving on . . .

“I’m nodding my head like ‘Yeah!’
Moving my hips like ‘Yeah!’”

Wait a second, let me get this right. Instead of completing the simile she uses “yeah” to replace a noun or a phrase. Here are examples the correct way to complete this sentence.

“I’m nodding my head like Britney.”
Or
“I’m nodding my head like I’m at a club.”

It’s like she gave up on talking, or speaking English as a whole. “Eh, I got a couple words out and then I just decided it wasn’t worth the effort so I’ll just say ‘yeah.’” Can you imagine if your friends talked like this?

“Go down the street two blocks and make ‘yeah.’”
“You have got to pull it together. This test is ‘yeah.’”

It’s not even an ironic “yeah” like: Oh god that shirt was so ugly and like [sigh] “yeah” not such a good choice.” It’s celebratory for God’s sake. That’s the best you can do lyrically, REALLY, are you serious?

“But Kingsley what about “My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson, one of your favorite songs ever. That song has “yeahs” all over the chorus. True.

"‘Cause we belong together now, yeah"
"Forever united here somehow, yeah"

But they are at the end of the sentence, the thought is completed and THEN "yeah" is put in as an interjection as opposed to a modifier.

SIGH.

While I 100% agree with my wife’s argument I still love “Party In The U.S.A.”

Songs that are what they sing about fascinate me. “Party In The U.S.A.” is about the power of music is relax us and bring us a moment of bliss in difficult situations and “Party In The U.S.A.” is exactly one of those songs. Yes, it’s not very deep. It’s got that teen pop sheen all over it, but there’s something universal about when Miley describes hearing a song on the radio in a strange new place.

The fact that the same song is being played in Nashville as well as in Los Angeles is amazing if you think about it. It’s like that line in “Somewhere Out There.” “It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky.”



For Miley, that big sky is her favorite song.

Yeah, I can go into the fact in the original recording of this song Miley mentions listening to Jay-Z and then latter said she has never heard his music and now changes that line when she performs it live. I could also go into the whole Disney music machines and the fact that I seriously thought that Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus were two different people until one of my students pointed this out to me. (I was just thought it was cool that two teen artist would do a film together). Sue me for being lost within the illusion.



That wig is pretty convincing.

If Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers and the High School Musical (yup, I totally did a post about that film) stuff bug you, fine it’s all good. It’s not meant for you, (unless you are in grade school and I seriously doubt there's any grade schoolers reading this). Kids really enjoy this stuff and I’m all for children enjoying music where the girls aren’t over-sexualized and the image, which I realize is just that, an image, is clean and wholesome. It’s better then the typical rock star “image.”

“Party In The U.S.A.” feels great, yes, it needs some grammar help, and when one of my students uses “yeah” like Miley does I will surely get annoyed, until then, it’s all good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment