Friday, August 19, 2011

Buffy Gets Attacked Part 6 - Love & Admiration

Below is part six of a six part series about a recent incident when Buffy was attacked by another dog. Buffy fortunately got through this experience without any permanent physical or mental damage. Click here for part 1part part 3, part 4 and part 5.


The wounds from an act of physical violence can go much deeper than the flesh. While Buffy’s bites were scary, they were something that we could fix and watch heal. There was medicine for this. The psychological trauma was a different story.

One of Diana’s friends has a dog that changed after being attacked. The dog became much more timid and less outgoing. While Diana’s friend has done lots of great work with her dog, it’s never quite been the same after the attack.

So how has Buffy been? Thankfully pretty much the same. Check this video out of Buffy the evening after the attack.



How did Buffy go through that trauma and pretty much come out psychologically unscathed? There’s probably a couple factors. First off, Buffy has a lot of positivity built up inside of her. From the first day we had Buffy we ensured that the vast majority of her interactions with other people and dogs and even herself were positive.



So, maybe because we raised such a happy and secure puppy she could roll through this situation.

I’m not sure about that theory but what I like to think is that the reason Buffy came through the attack the way she did was because Buffy is a strong and resilient dog.  I think of myself going through something like Buffy did and I can’t imagine having the strength to pull myself back together so quickly.

My mom always told me that you want surround yourself with people you admire. If there’s nothing that you look up into in a friend then they aren’t helping you grow. And this whole situation has shown me how much I admire Buffy.

That sounds really weird, I know, but it’s true. I wish I could find joy in the simple things the way that she does. I am amazed at her ability to make people happy and I love how she looks at every situation and every unknown with excitement.

It was the fear of loosing Buffy that reminded me how much I love her. But it has been her spirit throughout all of this that reminded me how proud I am of my Buffy and how thankful I am to have her in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment