Friday, October 26, 2018

Year 9: Week 8 - Pride

“My father is Gay.”

There was no shame in her voice, or embarrassment. The 3rd graders statement was not frivolous or boastful. She wasn’t sharing this fact about her life to get a reaction from her peers or draw undue attention to herself. “My father is Gay” was a statement of pride.

In our study of “Simple Gifts” in 3rd grade music, I want to show them how this song was meaningful to our school, American culture, and themselves. I teach them about the tradition of performing this song at our Thanksgiving Assembly every year by the 3rd grade, and show them some artwork in our school that referred to the song.

The way I showed them that this song had meaning outside of our school was by sharing with them different performances of this song. There was a performance by Blast, I showed them the arrangement that was performed at President Obama’s first inauguration, and we watch wonderful performance by the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles.



I wrote the words “Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles” on the board and meticulously explained each word in that title. I saw some furrowed brows as I explained what affinity meant and why it was important at times to be with people you share a connection. I talked about how sometimes I feel comforted being around people of color, and that was an important space for me. Also, I talked about being around other dads. I explained that this was a good thing as long as it wasn’t what you did all of the time socially because being around people who are different than you is awesome, and very important.

After I unpacked what it meant to be “Gay,” she raised her hand and shared with the class how the her dads were also Gay with a smile. The pride in her voice was noticeable, and made the other students lean in with interests.

I thanked her for sharing and that I’m glad that she saw a connection between the men in this video and her own parents. In this lesson, she saw her family, and her parents. She received the message that her family was valued, seen and honored. And in that space the other students were reminded that this pride was not just something seen in a video, but part of their own classroom community. 

There are challenges ahead, and many examples of ignorance and hate, but the progress is undeniable. Twenty years ago, a teacher may not even share this video, let alone have a student talk about her Gay dads with this same pride and feel support for a teacher and her peers.

This is not how it is all across our country, but it is present for some and it can be the future for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment