Monday, January 4, 2021

Parenthood: Week 404 – 20 Moments Of 2020: Part 7

3. Kamala Harris: For The Children

When Vice President-Elect Harris' addressed the children of America, I was so proud and excited. Finally, I could let my children hear and view our country's two highest leaders with comfort and pride. 

 

I haven't allowed my children to hear the President speak for the past four years. trump often uses inappropriate language and models immaturity. The content of his speeches and interviews full of lies. At some point, when they are older, I will show them footage of trump speaking and explain to him why they didn't see footage of him when they were younger, but for now, I have chosen to shield them from him.  

Vice President-Elect Harris's victory speech was not about her.  

It was about us and our future.  

She talked about her own children, President-elect Bidens' children, and then she spoke directly to America's children. It was a message of self-worth, imagination, and courage. She was giving words to the examples her actions had displayed in 2020, and I was proud to make sure that my sons heard her speak these words to them.  

… and to the children of our country regardless of your gender, our country has sent you a clear message: Dream with ambition, lead with conviction and see yourselves in a way that others may not simply because they've never seen it before. 

But know that we will applaud you every step of the way."

 

2. Our Sons

First, he disregarded Beau, the son of President-elect Biden lost to cancer. Then he made multiple false statements about his other son Hunter and brought his struggles with drug abuse as an insult. I have heard trump say many horrible things and insulting things, but this line of attacks felt extraordinarily despicable and hurtful.  

 

As I watched this attack, I allowed myself to be in that place. I was there with President-elect Biden and felt the blows of each of those words, and it hurt. From the look on his face, it was clear that President-elect Biden was also feeling this attack deeply.  

What would you do at this moment? What would you do if a person viciously attacked your children in front of millions of viewers? How would you respond? 

Joe responded with love.  

He could have gone on the attack, he could have changed the subject, or he could have distanced himself from his son's challenges.  

Instead, he said, "my son." With his words, he held his sons close to him. He showed the world what it meant to love one's child, unconditionally. And he reminded parents the most powerful way to defend your child is through the power of your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment