Four years ago, I had one son, and now I have three. Four years ago, I had a President who spoke openly about how his role as a father was one of the most important parts of his life, and right now, I have a President who has never had a meaningful thing to say about parenthood. Four years ago, I felt at a loss on how to be a father and how to protect my child against a monster coming into power, and now I am proud to be welcoming a new President, a proud father, and a role model for my children.
President-elect Biden's political story is interwoven with his role as a father. Many people, including author Evan Osmos, have helped us understand Biden's life's narrative focused on his role as a father as much as his role as a leader is not some disingenuous act for the public. It's the truth.
I'm 38-years-old.
Biden lost his first wife and his daughter when 29-years-old. He was ready to give up his career as a Senator and become a stay at home dad for Hunter and Beau. And this resonates with me because I'd probably want to do the same thing.
The horrible circumstance of having to bury your own son to cancer is not unique to Biden. However, the way he openly talked about his grief and somehow found a way to honor his son and give others hope is truly remarkable.
I can't imagine having to deal with Biden's loss as a father, and I don't know how I'd react or deal with such an immense trauma. But I know that there is a way to move forward, feel the pain of the moment, and find the joy in memories and the love left behind because Joe Biden has shown me that.
President-elect Biden will make mistakes. He will not be a flawless President, and there will be moments when he will frustrate those of us who supported him. Throughout it all, he will be Joe Biden, and he will be our President. A remarkable majority of Americans voted to elevate him to the most powerful position in our country. Regardless of the many reasons people voted for him, we have elevated a father, prouder of his children than any of his own accomplishments. When asked to show-off meaningful objects on The Late Late Show with James Corden, he didn't show off his Presidential Medal of Freedom or the numerous photos of him with world leaders; he showed off pictures of his children and his grandchildren.
That is the kind of man we are welcoming as our President this week, and it will be a wonderful feeling to have an inspirational father in the White House.
No comments:
Post a Comment