Monday, June 13, 2011

Firework by Katy Perry

I really like enjoyed Katy when she first came on the scene. “I Kissed A Girl” was fun and when I heard “Hot N Cold” (which I wrote about in this earlier post ) and found out she was a phenomenal song-writer behind great songs like Kelly Clarkson’s “I Do Not Hook Up (which I wrote about in this post) I became a Katy Perry fan.

So I was excited when Teenage Dream came but unfortunately her lead single off of the album “Califonia Gurls” (which I wrote about here, man I spent a lot of writing about this girl. . . ) left something to be desired for. Yes, it was fun but it lacked the nuance of some of her earlier songs and unlike “I Do Not Hook Up,” it didn’t really say anything. And honestly, those whip cream dispensers attached to her um. . . y’know. . . yeah, just kind of confusing.

Then I heard “Firework” and it was a revelation.



Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that Katy Perry is the greatest artist ever, but she’s doing stuff with this song that is significant. “Firework” is a feel good about yourself song like “True Colors by Cyndi Lauper or “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera.

Yeah, I’ve never felt like a plastic bag, but the house of cards is great use of imagery to describe a sense of insecurity. Perry beautiful paints a picture of feeling like an outsider, inadequate and not having anything that is really special until she reminds us that there is a spark inside all of us.  The second verse continues being hopeful with some great lines about how difficulty things in lead to better things. After a hurricane comes a rainbow and after a closed door comes an open road. 

Maybe it's because its graduation season or maybe it's because I'm tired of hearing boastful non-nonsensical rap music, meaningless love songs and dance songs that just don't make any sense, but "Firework" really makes me feel good about myself.

 (We're just going to enjoy the song and not think about the fireworks coming out of Katy's chest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment