This is an interesting contrast to Ethan at this age who was more than happy to have me comfort him at night. So earlier this week, I was settling in to go to sleep and I heard Lucas start crying, I automatically started making my way downstairs to get Diana, but then I paused.
I went into Lucas's room and saw him standing up in his crib. Like other times before, he stopped crying when he saw me, but instead of flopping down in frustration, he reached his hands up to him. He turned his head sideways a little, and I picked him up gently. I hushed him as I carried him into the bedroom.
Lucas looked up at me calmly as I changed his diaper. I walked around the room for a couple of minutes, rocking him In my arms. I was about to put him back into his crib, but I decided to go another path. I put Lucas down on my bed, and he crawled over to Diana's pillow. I watched him struggle to lift the covers from under his legs. I giggled to myself and gently lifted his legs for him and helped him get tucked him. Lucas turned over on his side and just turned to look at me.
I reached out to touch his toes, and Lucas giggled, and then I kissed him on his cheek. I laid back down, and we looked at each other. Lucas, in this situation, would be insisting on cuddling. Ethan was just content with looking at me.
The world seemed so quiet while we looked into each other eyes. And then, slowly and gently, sleep took us away…together.
*****
As spring warms up the house, sunshine spills through the windows. We keep the shades up a lot of the day as the light brings the feeling of life and warmth into our house.
Buffy has her spots in the house where she rests and takes her naps. She expands to other places in the house when it's sunny. She is often lying in the light stretched out on her side. As I walk by, she looks up from her spot squinting in the sunlight, and lays back down, grunting in contentment, stretching, and then settles down.
I sat next to her the other day as she was lying in the sun. Buffy wasn't entirely in the sunlight. The bottom half of her body was in the shadow. Her fur in the sunlight was warm, and her fur in the shadow was cooler, starting right at the line of the shadow. She moaned contently softly as a pet her.
I laid down next to her and looked into her eyes. In the sunlight, Buffy's eyes look translucent. They become deep pools of darkness. Framed by her beautiful brown and white eyelashes, I lost myself in the her eyes for a moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment