Monday, April 11, 2022

Parenthood: Week 470 - A Good Day

It felt tough day with Ethan.   

When we were getting in the car to leave the house, he started screaming for a book he had left inside the house. Before we arrived at the gardens, Ethan started complaining that he was thirty. We told him to wait. Then he started demanding that we give him water. We did have fun at the gardens, but we ended up leaving early because of something Ethan did. I don’t remember what, but unfortunately, the outing ended with sterns words.  

Later in the afternoon, he took a book out of Lucas’ hands that he wanted to look at that caused Lucas to start crying. Ethan didn’t do a great job eating his meals, and he was out of control during his bathtime.  

As we were getting ready for bed, Ethan said “I had a great day. I did so much stuff!” I looked at him with utter disbelief. Did we live the same day? Don’t you remember all of the frustrating moments? As Ethan started listing off all of the things he enjoyed about the day, I sat back and couldn’t help but smile.  

Sometimes among all of the frustrating moments in a day, it’s easy to overlook the good times. It’s nice to know what stuck with Ethan were the nice moments in the day. I’m not sure if this is a reflection of Ethan’s personality or his age, but it’s a wonderful part of him.  

*****   

So Lucas didn’t feel like pants. No big deal. 

We were going to spend the morning at home, after taking Buffy for a walk. It was just me and Lucas. He was at the tail end of a cold. I was a spring break, so there was no reason to push it and get him to back to school before he was 100%.  

I have Lucas a snack of some crackers. As he sat down looking at his bowl he turned around and started pointing towards the open pantry behind him. I couldn’t really understand what he was saying so I lifted him up he pointed at a different box of crackers. So I got him those crackers in a different bowl. No big deal. 

I got Lucas out of his high chair and decided to do some dishes. I saw that Lucas was walking over to the bookshelf. I walked over and closed the baby gate so he wouldn't go upstairs. A couple minutes later I saw him walk by the kitchen with a marker in his hand. Ethan recently started enjoying working with marker, but he couldn’t get the caps off. No big deal. 

A couple minutes later I saw him bring some more markers into the den from the living room. I didn’t think much of it. As I finished the dishes I walked over to the den and I saw red marker drawn all over half of the couch cushions. I looked to the side and saw the marker without a cap on and there was Lucas in the living room calmly looking at a book. This felt like a big deal. 

I felt a rush of panic and frustration. My children don’t draw on the furniture. Ollie had never done this. Ethan never did this. What is going on? I went over to Lucas, and looking at this little one sitting, oh so innocently, I couldn't get mad at him. He didn’t know better, and I should have known better. As I started wiping the couch with a baby wipe the marker came off immediately. Thank goodness for washable markers. I took the cushion covers off and when I cleaned them in the sink they came off completely. I had to do some extra cleaning, but the couch is fine. No big deal.

We had a great morning. This was a big deal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment